Hook: Size 6-10 longshank
Tail: White marabou
Body: Fluorescent lime green micro Fritz
Wing: White marabou
Eyes: Silver bead chain
1. Fix hook in vice so that it is positioned with the hook point uppermost. Run on a small ‘bead’ of tying thread just behind the eye.
2. Place the paired chain beads on top of the shank and secure into position with figure-ofeight turns of tying thread.
3. Replace hook in vice so that it is the right way up, then run the tying thread to the bend in close turns. There, catch in a pinch of marabou.
4. Cover ends of marabou with turns of thread then return thread to bend. Strip the end of a length of Fritz and catch the core in at the bend.
5. Twist the Fritz so that the fibres flare evenly around the core, then wind it along the hook shank in close touching turns.
6. Once the Fritz has reached just behind the bead chain eyes, secure the end of the Fritz with tying thread and remove the excess.
7. Take a second pinch of marabou, this time long enough so the tips reach those of the tail, and catch it in behind the eyes.
8. Apply more tight thread turns to secure the marabou. Trim away excess. Apply a whip finish and add a drop of Superglue to thread.
The finished fly. The original Cat had a chenille body, but the more modern Fritz is a worthy replacement.